In this post we will describe the city of Maisandres, capital of the Earldom of Mir, as it was the Year of the King 250. The original map of the city by Brian van Hunsel has been published under a Creative Commons By-NC-SA license on the DeviantArt web site.
The name of the city has been mantained (with a little variation), replacing the former name of Mir. The map has been modified too, removing the little island in the river centre, the walls and some groups of houses to represent the evolution of the city through the years. You will see this evolution in other posts.
This is the map of the city, built near the river Entrepàs flowing from east to west (from right to left in the map).
Buildings and Neighbourhoods
In the city the important buildings were the following:
- Church of Saint Sicari. It was a temple of the order of the Admonoms. 12 priests lived there.
- City hall. The house of the Mayor and his family, and the house too of the 7 guards of the city.
- Saint Perol Monastery. It was a temple of the order of the Truthful. 7 monks lived there.
- Temple Amarant. It was a temple of the order of the vitalists. 6 priests lived there.
- Commerce House. Here the goods were bought and sold. Most were imported from Infradània or the Swamp, and were exported to this places too in one direction or the other.
The city was divided in neighbourhoods, established above all by jobs:
- Port district: inhabited by river sailors.
- Woodplain district: most nomad woodmen earn money working as guides for the caravans between Maisandres and the earldom of Infradània. In this plain they mounted their skin tents.
- Market district: near the market building lived most of the craftsmen, shoppers and merchants.
- Field: here lived the peasants working in the fields near the city.
- Swamp district: the cocodrilians living in the city had built a zone full of water, like a little swamp. There they had built houses in the swamp style. Most of them were merchants o middlemen, living of the commerce between the city and the swamp.
- North district: all king of people lived there: soldiers, servants, serfs, sailors, mercenaries and adventurers.
1028 people lived in the city, with 68 craftsmen families.
Most of the people had a work related to the commerce between the city and the earldom of Infradània, to the east, and the Swamp of Entrepàs, to the west.
The river between Maisandres and Embarcador was navigable. Embarcador was the second city of the earldom, and served as a connection with the cocodrilians of the swamp. See the description of the Earldom of Mir for more information.
The YK 250 the city didn’t have walls yet, but they were being rebuilt from the remaining ancient walls of the city.
A road went to the west to Embarcador. It was a packed earth road, without any pavement. The distance to Embarcador, in a straight line, was 17 km, but the road made 27 km because went to north to avoid the Entrepàs gorge.
The crafstmen payed a tax of 172d / $688 / 69 po every year. This generated an income for the city of 11.696d / $46.784 / 4.678 po invested mainly in the walls construction (the currency is given in the systems of Hârnmaster, GURPS and D20 respectively).